Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chapter 3 Discussion

Concept and brief description:

Equal Employment Opportunity – HR is responsible to ensure that all applicants and employees are not discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, or national origin.

Emotional hook (provocative question/ claim/real-life problem):

Deafness runs in my family, my grandfather is deaf, my sister in one ear, and my own hearing has gone down considerably over the course of my life and could continue to drop. In fact I actually wear a hearing aid in order to be able to pick up everything I need to. With my future in front of me, it makes me wonder what jobs I will be able to hold successfully even if my hearing continues to deteriorate.

Key points to elicit in discussion

Chapter three discusses several safeguards that have been set up in order to provide equal opportunities for people with disabilities. Among these are constitutional amendments and legislations that give minorities as well as disabled citizens protection against discrimination. Businesses are required to make whatever adjustments are needed, whether in equipment or procedure, to allow the disabled to carry out the duties of the job.

Facilitative questions

Is it right for companies to be required to purchase equipment or alter their procedures in order to adapt to a single employees disability? Are there ever times that a company can turn away the disabled due to certain jobs that require them to be fully functional?

No comments:

Post a Comment